Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Funeral Arrangements

When I am dead and colder,
don’t waste me in the ground.
Dress me in a 60’s space suit -
launch me to the stars.

And make the priests start dancing
and throw their robes away -
a naked ring of clergy
will send me on my way.

And the congregation will sing:
“I’ve heard your voice and I know your face
and now, finally, now I will see your eyes. “

Children will bang on kettles,
grownups will sit on the floor -
party hats for everyone
now that I am no more.

And the congregation will sing:
“I’ve heard your voice and I know your face
and now, finally, now I will see your eyes.”

My insides hopefully outside me, my wants and hopes all done,
this way the past will be present no more –
Forget me but do not forgive me, believe me and leave me alone.

And the tomb or the plaque or the flag or the rock or the bottom of the page should state:

“I hear your voice and I know you’re smiling and now, finally, now I can see your eyes.”

No comments: